Electricity for public consumption has started its history in Indonesia when a private Dutch company, NV. NIGN, which was originally involved in gas sector, decided to expand its activities into the generation of electricity for public consumption. In 1927, the Dutch government established Waterkraft Bedrijven (“LWB”) to manage hydro-electric plants in West Java,East Java, Bengkulu and North Sulawesi, along with a steam- generated power plant in Jakarta. It was then followed by a number of municipalities whom also set up their own municipal power companies.
After the Japanese occupation during the World War II, a handful of employees/workers in the oil and gas industries, led by Kobarsjih successfully took-over the oil and gas companies from Japanese hands and handed over to GOI, in September 1945. Subsequently, President Soekarno set up the Electricity and Gas Bureau on October 27th, 1945 under the auspices of the Department of Public Works and Power. During the first and second Dutch offensive, the Dutch Government returned the electricity company ownership to the original owners.
With the increasing Indonesian people struggle to liberate lrian Jaya from Dutch colonialism, the Indonesian parliament passed on Law number 86 of 1958, dated December 27, 1958, and ratified.
Government Regulations No. 18 of 1958 to nationalize all Dutch electricity and gas companies. The history of electrical power in Indonesia has ebbed and flowed in tandem with the tide of the people’s struggle. October 7 1945, subsequently became known as Electricity and Gas Day, and was commemorated for the first time on October rr: 1946, in Gedung Badan Pekerja Komite Nasional (“BPKNP”), Yogyakarta. Bearing in mind the importance of electricity, based upon Minister of Mines and Energy Decree No. 1134.K/43.PE/1992, dated August 3-11-1992, October 2 r” was declared as the National Electricity Day.